Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Tin Man

A couple of weeks ago, I had the privilege of spending the day with Hunter and his classmates on the 3rd grade field trip to Sauder Village. Sauder's is an historical village highlighting people's lives and trade back in the early 1800's.

I was certainly fascinated by the craftsmen that work there. To see the exquisite work done by their hands and able to see it live is beyond description. All of the kids in my group were very polite and asked good questions when needed. I was so thankful that none were silly or embarrassing.

Well...we stopped in the Tin shop..the artist Mike Runyon was in residence working on beautiful creations made from tin. It was fascinating to watch him! He was really great with the kids too...one child (not in my group) asked..what things did he make? He chuckled a bit and said..."turn around and look" the kid did so. "Now turn and look over there"..the child turned..."Turn and look there"..as he points...He made the majority of the pieces in the shop and again I can't express how lovely they were. I certainly wanted several pieces.

But then, the artist asked the group what they thought he was creating while he was talking with him. One kid said a pop can...but a grown up (thankfully) said a candle holder. Mike Runyon confirmed this and then asked the group what candles may have been made from back in the 1800's. The usual list was shouted out...like beeswax, parafin..etc etc...

The room became silent for just a second...and then MY son blurted out...Ear Wax!





1 comment:

Ann said...

ha ha! Reminds me of my little brother...in class his teacher asked what routine things we do before we go to bed. Most kids said things like "brush your teeth" and "change into pjs." My brother said, "Pick lint out of my toes."