Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Wishes, What Ifs and other Dreams

I know a lot of people who have a favorite hobby. Some might enjoy cooking or sewing and others might like to scrapbook or fish. But, my favorite hobby requires no special tool or place. I like to dream.

So I was thinking about my hobby today and was trying to figure out why I like to day dream so much...I'm not the type of person to have reformation dreams like Dr. King...nor do I like to think of scary dreams like Nightmare on Elm Street (shiver). I day dream about situations, what ifs and wishes.

I wish I could be a Dr. Doolittle and talk to animals.....maybe I could convince my dumb dog to stay off the furniture.

I wish I could just speak any foreign language at will...no studying required....I always imagine myself waiting somewhere and hear foreigners talk ill about people in line. I boldly chastise them in their own tongue, like a mother to a child...

What if I never went to college but continued on with a Naval career instead....what kind of person would I be today?....would I still be strong in my faith?...would I have married?....would I have had children?....would I have died in the line of duty?....so many what ifs.

What if I could I be a famous chef? Does it matter that I'm one of the pickiest eaters I know?... Fish bad.....Chicken good....chocolate better....I do love to cook.

Many of my dreams are frivolous and silly. It's fun for me to think about dumb things like talking to animals. But some of my day dreams are not just dreaming. I like to sit...contemplate and think. It's during those quiet moments that I learn and my mind enlightened....helping me remember that I can make some dreams come true.




2 comments:

Ann said...

wow! Hooray! Congrats! Following our good dreams can bring such fulfillment and joy.

Keriann said...

I day dream some times. Mostly mine is going through conversations in my head of what i should have said and done, or what I will say and do. Mostly this happens when I lay down at night before I fall asleep.

I have really thought about going back to school too, but I haven't found anything in the colleges around that I want to go into. Maybe some day. I would be looking to get a Master's, but I don't want to write a Thesis. That is really probably the biggest thing that keeps me from going back.