Monday, February 2, 2009

The Pillow


We love our pillows...from the firm and fluffy pillows filling a sham to the small feather flat ones we use to cuddle with. I myself have a small feather pillow to push, fluff and cradle my head at night. I would lose hours of beauty sleep if I didn't have my pillow.

My daughter Megan has a flat useless pillow. There is no volume. It doesn't fill out a pillow case or stand up in a decorative sham. To me, the pillow was nothing. I discovered last night that Megan had left her pillow in a lonely hotel room in Indiana.

The emotional outburst was unlike anything I had seen. The tears!, the sobs! I wasn't aware that my little girl had a crush on her pillow. We tried to reason with her...we could find another pillow for her to love...what about the fluffy bouncy one from the guest room? NO! How about one of your brother's extra pillows? NO! Would you like a brand new one? NO! No suggestion seemed to sooth Megan.

It was so sad to see Megan's eyes swell with tears and the sobs breaking from her...but then I remembered! We had put into storage an older pillow, one flat with age. One without any fluff or feathers. A useless pillow. We placed a new case on the pillow and presented it to Megan. She first scoffed at it! It didn't smell like her pillow or feel like her pillow. But it was almost like her lost one. I dried Megan's tears and gave her a hug. Soon she was sleeping.

So, when the lights were out in my bedroom I was grateful that I didn't lose my favorite pillow. I snuggled into it. I sniffed my pillow and drifted off to sleep!

1 comment:

The Haley Family said...

oh my...girls! I am in for it! I've linked you too! THANKS!