Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sam

Have you ever felt uncomfortable around someone who was considered different? Not weird like me... but different in features, physical capabilities or mental capacities. Sometimes I do, and I'm reluctant to admit it. However, I felt myself change the moment I held my nephew Sam. But, his story first...

Sam Wesley Allen, was born really early! He weighed only 2lbs 4oz. He was in NICU for a long time too! But he grew and came home to house full of brothers and sisters (3 sisters and 2 brothers). All of Sam's family adore him; aunts, uncles, grandparents, great-grandparents and cousins. Sam is a miracle and blessing in one cute package.

About a year ago Sam began having infantile spasms, seizures. He had several exams and tests done to determine where in the brain the seizures were happening. But the test also showed that Sam was born with cebreal palsy. So today, Sam is on very strong medication to surpress the seizures and attends several thearpy sessions weekly to help strengthen his weak left side. He just turned 2 this past January.

Okay, if you are like me and just happened upon my blog...you may say...oh poor kid. Yes, that can be a true statement...but here's the wonder of it...Sam is an angel. His presence has changed all of us. Sam is determind to get where he wants to go. His communication with his beautiful eyes and ready giggles brings joy to me and all who see.

So how did I change? Sam may be in a crippled body. But I learned his spirit is strong, pure and perfect. I feel closer to God when I see Sam. I love that little boy!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love this post and how you expressed your feelings. He is amazing and his lil' spirit is such an example to all!

Brenda K said...

I have a Sam...His name is Kristain! Amen to him teaching me way more that I'll ever teach him. He is one of God's special children and so many don't get to know him out of fear of his wheelchair!