Monday, February 16, 2009

The Dress...part one

Yesterday, I was talking with my niece Rudi, and she was describing what her dream wedding dress would be. It was really fun to hear her thoughts and her jests about wedding dresses. It was a great evening...but then I got to thinking about my wedding dress...

My life as a nineteen year old "grown-up" began with a wedding dress. At the time, my thoughts about the dress my mother wore before me were immature and naive. If you asked me then to describe the dress I wouldn't have been able to speak. I felt heartbroken that I couldn't have my dream. I felt cheated that I had to settle for an old dress. Nearly sixteen years later I look back and say to myself..."Shame on you Jenny!"

The wedding dress I wore then looks different to me now. I remember a beautiful new satin sash was added to accentuate the tiny waist of the dress. Dozens of delicate pearl beads and lace swept gently across the gown. A stylish veil was borrowed and a friend altered the dress to bustle neatly for dancing and fitted it perfectly. So much was done to make my wedding dress special.

I feel gratitude........ My heart......humbled. The dress is more than satin and lace, it was my mother's keepsake handed to me. I was married for time and all eternity to my husband in that white dress. I wore the gown at the beginning of my wonderful married life and its beautiful design a fabric reminder of the commitment I made at the alter.

I cherish my new thoughts about my wedding gown. I love the dress! It has since been stored in a beautiful box. One day my daughter will announce her intent to marry. She will begin looking for her dream dress too. Will she have a desire to wear an old dress worn twice before? I secretly hope so. Only time will tell.

5 comments:

Keriann said...

Awesome! There is no way I could have been married in my mom's wedding dress. She is about 8 inches shorter than me. It would have been cool though. Instead I was married in my temple dress, and borrowed a dress from a friend to wear at my receptions.

I guess you could say it was my dream dress. Too bad that temple dress does not currently fit. Oh well.

By the way, love the blog!
-Keriann Felt

Katie said...

You are a beautiful writer! Now that you have my mind imagining your dress... you should put up a picture of your wedding day in your dress!!

I am so happy you have joined the blog world!!

Ann said...

What a nice post. :) I always wanted to wear my mom's dress, but I couldn't fit into it!! :( What a bummer!! :) How special :)

Michelle said...

I did not know this about you, Jenny. You are a phenomenal writer and I love reading about your thoughts. My mom's wedding dress was sooooooooo 70's that I remember thinking as a child that I would NEVER want to wear it but looking back, I wish I would have.

It's me, Jenny! said...

Thanks Michelle!