Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday Thoughts

I spent the week feeling frustrated, overwhelmed and almost angry. And this Sunday has been a good day to reflect and think about what is important.

One Sunday a month is set aside for members of our congregation the opportunity to stand up and testify their beliefs and faith. I really enjoyed listening to their testimonies today. I really felt peaceful inside and happy.

My 9 year old son had the desire to share his testimony. He was brave and confident as he walked to the front of the congregation to speak in the microphone. He shared his testimony on something he had learned in a Sunday school class and liked. Hunter's words were important to him. And his desire to share his testimony was wonderful! I feel really blessed that my child at the tender age of 9 wants to be close to God and our Savior Jesus Christ and share that desire with others...Hunter inspired me to share my testimony today too.

I was sitting in the pew thinking about what I wanted to say in the microphone...but a thought came to me...if I'm trying to think of something to say...then I'm preparing a speech...and not sharing my testimony. As soon as the thought entered my mind, I got up right away.

My tummy did a couple of flips and the blood rushed from my face to my feet while I walked to the stand. I grasped the podium in fear and felt my knees turn to jelly. As I pulled the microphone to my face I began to look out at the congregation. What was I going to say? What was I going to testify about? I had no plan...I prepared no speech.

But then a feeling rushed over me...swept me from head to toe...the feeling was peace. My eyes became moist and my voice trembled a bit. I stuttered trying to explain this feeling warm in my heart. That peaceful feeling whispered to my soul the divinity of our Savior Jesus Christ and the awesome love our Father in Heaven has for all his children. I truly believe that living gospel principles and keeping the commandments that the Lord has set has brought me such happiness and has given me a sure path to walk. That knowledge has not shielded me from experiencing sorrow or pain. However, my faith has lifted me when I needed it most.

Today has been a wonderful day. I realized that my faith is really important to me. When I change my attitude and allow the influence of the Lord into my life...my burden has been lightened.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Your testimony filled me with great joy as I read your post tonight, I wish I had heard your testimony in church today, I was home tending to a sick baby ...one who I thought was better this afternoon only to have him get sick again this evening. I am so thankful for wonderful people like you and Ann that have such wonderful insight to offer and I look forward to your words of inspiration every time I visit your blog. Thank you.

Aaron & Nancy said...

Isn't it amazing how the Spirit can change our outlook? The key is being able to feel it which you obviously can.

brittani c. said...

Why do we adults think we need to plan what we say if we go up to share our testimony? The best ones are short and simple and full of the Spirit.